Which official translation do you need?

This information is brought to you by Juryman Translations, a Cameroon based translation agency which can be contacted through +237 674266941 or contact@jurymantranslator.com

Depending on which country you are traveling to, the needed certified translation may vary. This article explores the type of certified translation you will need when traveling abroad.

United States

Certified translations to be submitted to the American Embassy usually need to be provided by a translator who is competent to translate from a specific foreign language into English. Usually, upon completion of the translation of the official document, the translator provides a translation certification which states that he or she is competent to translate from a foreign language like French into English and that the translation that he/she has provided is accurate and correct to the best of their knowledge and belief. The translator has to sign the certification and to provide his address so that he can be contacted in case of doubt.

United Kingdom

The requirements for certified translations in the UK are very similar to the requirements for certified translations in the USA. According the Birmingham University website, documents to be submitted for visa application in the UK must meet the following criteria:

  • be made by a professional translator or translation company 
  • include confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document 
  • include the date of the translation
  • include the translators full name and signature OR the full name and signature of an authorized official of the translation company
  • include the translator or translations company’s contact details

Other countries have their own requirements regarding certified translations, which we hope to cover in subsequent articles. 

While the above procedures create the impression that any person who calls themselves a translator can provide a certified translation, it is more than ever imperative for clients to only make use of translators that have the right credentials.

This would mean translators who have acquired the right translation training and can show exhibits to that effect.  If in addition, the translator can portray that they belong to a recognized translators association, this would be a positive indicator.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.